Sunday, December 11, 2011

Earth Globe Plush

My inspiration from the etsy shop, Little Smiles Boutique


It's getting closer to Christmas and I am still working away, trying to get presents together.  Like you all know, my husband is still looking for a job, so we are low on money for gifts this year.  My time is also scarce with three kids, the youngest nearly five months old.  

While trying to come up with gift ideas, I looked over my children's Christmas lists, and saw that my daughter wants a globe.  Adorable.  She's in kindergarten, and I love that she is so interested in learning!  Anyhoo, at first I was going to buy a blow up globe ball.  They're under $10.  I also found a Earth Ball for about $15 at the Fat Brain Toys website.

I decided to save some money and just make a plushie of the Earth.  Here's what I did.  I got some blue yarn, and amigurumi crocheted two halves of a ball.

Pattern for Earth Ball

Make 2, using blue yarn...

magic ring, sc 6 times (6sc)
2sc in each sc (12 sc)
*1sc, 2sc in next sc* repeat around another 5x (18sc)
*2sc, 2sc in next sc* repeat around another 5x  (24sc)
*3sc, 2sc in next sc* repeat around another 5x (30sc)
*4sc, 2sc in next sc* repeat around another 5x (36sc)
*5sc, 2sc in next sc* repeat around another 5x (42sc)
*6sc, 2sc in next sc* repeat around another 5x (48sc)
*7sc, 2sc in next sc* repeat around another 5x (54sc)
*8sc, 2sc in next sc* repeat around another 5x (60sc)
sc around (60sc)
sc around (60sc)
sc around (60sc)
sc around (60 sc)
sc around (60 sc)

Now use blue yarn to sew the two  halves together leaving a couple inches to stuff it with stuffing.  After stuffing the ball, you have to add the continents.  You can use felt or fleece, whatever you have that doesn't fray.  You're also going to need some templates for the continents.  I used the templates from the site below.  You're gonna need to scale them down.  I also rounded some of the shapes, since there's no way I can create a perfect map of the world.  LOL. 


Feel free to use different colors for different continents.  I'm going to sew a little star on our location, so my daughter has an idea of where we live.  Hope you liked this tutorial.  You can do it.  Happy crafting!

No comments: