Friday, October 10, 2008

Decoupaged Jewelry Box

On Saturday, I have a birthday party to go to for a little two-year old girl. I got some materials together from the store, and of course when I was there, I changed my plan a bit. I had originally planned on getting a wooden box to decorate, but when I got to the store, the wooden boxes weren't exactly the right shape and they didn't close all the way. What I did eventually get was one of those lightweight paper mache boxes. I also saw paper for sale so I got some to decorate the sides of the box. I also got some sheets of felt, so that I could line the bottom. For the top of the box I got a picture online of a famous piece of art. The picture I chose is of some ballerinas from a Degas painting. I put it into Phtotoshop and made it the size of the top of the box. I scaled the picture and cropped it, then I played around with the colors a bit. I wanted to personalize it, so I added some layers of text. I chose the colors for the text by picking out colors from the picture. Since I know a little bit of French, I translated some simple sentences and used them to give the box a little something special. It says, "Je suis un danseur!" and "Bijoux" which translated just means, "I am a dancer!" and "Jewelry". I had all that stuff ready and I had even painted the majority of the box, when I realized I could not find my Mod Podge. I ended up using an all purpose white glue mixed with a little water to thin it out. I applied it to both the box and the paper I was going to apply with a paint brush. All I have left to do is seal it.

No comments: