Monday, January 12, 2009

Wedding Cake


For my wedding, I took on the challenge of making my own cake. It might seem like a lot of work but with planning, it is something anyone is capable of achieving. It would be a good idea to make sure you have all the ingredients. I did not, so I had to have someone go to the store for me. Hopefully, you will not make this mistake.

On the day of the wedding, I made sure to get up early and bake the cakes first thing. If you have the time though, you can bake them the day before and let them cool overnight. This is a good idea if you only have one oven. When you go to bake your cake, you'll want to grease and flour(or sugar) your pans. I used sugar for mine.

I used two boxes of cake mix but looking back I think three boxes would have been better. I also used two cardboard rounds made for wedding cakes. You can find these at craft stores. These are also good for making diaper cakes for baby showers, but that is another project that I will talk about on another day. You may also want to have some sort of tier stacker for a wedding cake. I don't know the official name for this but you will know what it is when you go to the craft store and see it. You will follow the directions and bake the cakes accordingly.

I made a cream cheese icing for my cake, and I needed to have butter and cream cheese at room temperature, try to think ahead for things like this. If you don't you may find you don't have enough time to do all that you wanted to do. I guess what I'm trying to say is that planning is everything.

Make the icing while the cakes are baking if you can, but make sure you have a timer going so you don't forget about the cakes. When all the cakes are done baking you will want to turn them over onto the cardboard and frost them after they have cooled. I had one layer cake, but if you use three boxes of cake mix you can have two layer cakes. When you put the top cake on the stand you will want to ice the part of the stand that will hold the cake. The cake will be held in place by the icing and it's cardboard base on the stand.

I forgot to mention that the largest layer should be baked for the times given for the large rectangle cake directions. Make two of each, one mix can make the two 8x8 cakes, while you will need 2 large circular cake pans., not sure how big, maybe 10x10.

You can add a filling if you want. Something simple like a fruit filling can be added. I have used pie fillings on top of an icing. Make sure you ice both sides of cake that touch the icing though. This cake has to sit for some time and you don't want it to get soggy. Then you can ice the cake and decorate with little silk flowers that you cut, like I did.

You don't have to put the entire cake together now, especially if it has an ingredient like cream cheese that should be refrigerated. Just make sure that the bottom cake and the top cake are iced and decorated by the time you have to get ready. Then after you get married all you have to do is come home and put it together. If you are having the reception somewhere else then bring the cake with you when you leave the house or have someone else bring it. Make sure you have extra icing, though. You're going to need it.

I would recommend if you are going to try to cover the cake, make sure nothing touches it. I don't care it the film or wrap says it doesn't stick, it will stick to icing. Use a formed hard plastic cake cover if you must, but I wouldn't recommend anything else.

Good luck with your cake. Remember, it's all about making your wedding personal, so add your favorite silk flower, your cake topper, a favorite berry placed all around the cake in a pattern. It will be beautiful and save you a bunch of money for your new life together. You'll feel a sense of accomplishment as well, knowing you did something most people wouldn't dare try.

1 comment:

Krupter said...

That's Great but why do you use sugar on the pan and not flour?