Friday, June 12, 2009

It's nice!

Lately, it's been kind of nice out, so on my husband's days off we've been able to go out more. The one problem with that is, our car doesn't have very good air conditioning. We have to aim for bumps to get it to kick on. Yeah, I would love to retire that car. It's his baby though, and we need to wait probably another year before we can actually afford a good alternative. That's fine with me. I can wait, I know that eventually we'll have something better suited to our family. As it is now, only the four of us can ride in the car. It is only a two door, and don't even ask about trunk space for a stroller. We have an umbrella stroller that we bought like two years ago for fifteen dollars that still gets used very often.

On another note, that ballerina pattern I bought is not my first attempt at amigurumi. For those of you who do not know what amigurumi is let me attempt to explain. Amigurumi is a type of Japanese crochet that is done in spirals instead of in rounds. It's really pretty easy with a few differences from the western version of crochet. One difference is you use an adjustable ring to start. You also use an embroidery needle to sew the extremities onto the body.

A while back I made a few different amigurumi dolls and animals. I gave most of them away without taking pictures of them. I took a picture of one of them that I made and gave to my daughter. Some of the other things I made included a little bear and a white bunny. Here is a doll I made for my daughter using the amigurumi technique. There is one thing that is not always used in amigurumi and that is the addition of felt, I like the look of it. You can use just regular old yarn or thread to make the eyes and other details though. I tend to not use buttons and other things that can fall off, simply because it's not recommended for children under three.

I think I used too large a crochet hook in the past. I am pretty confident that the ballerina will come out well, I just need to get the right yarn and actually get everything together so I can get to work.

No comments: